Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Original horse racing painting by Robert Joyner



'Crack That Whip'
Mixed Media on 140 lb. Archival Paper
Size: 22 in X 15 in (55.9 cm X 38.1 cm)
Price: $325 USD
 
This painting was completed about a month ago but I was so distracted with going on vacation I didn't post it. So today you get the pleasure of this colorful and expressive horse racing painting. I used a combination of watercolor, white acrylic paint and conte crayon on archival watercolor paper. I started by adding broad areas of watercolor being sure to allow them to mingle. It's important to be direct at this stage and not try to control the colors too much. I found out the hard way that if you keep stroking watercolors they will lose their freshness and start to dull. Allowing the colors to flow together created some much needed soft edges. In addition to using the paint brush I also enjoy drawing. It's probably why I prefer mixed media because I can use crayons, charcoal and others drawing materials to add the sketchy look to my paintings. Anyhow, back to the painting. Applying conte crayon added some linear interest and helped define the shapes. From there I used white acrylic paint with a touch of watercolor for the background. This also helped define the shapes of the horses and jockeys. I finished the painting by adding some darks which anchored the painting nicely and headed downstairs for a much deserved peanut butter sandwich.

Hope you find the painting interesting. Be sure to share this post if you like what you see.

If you would like more information about Robert please visit his website. There are plenty of fabulous benefits for subscribers, not to mention new paintings are delivered to your inbox everyday. You can read more about this feature by using this subscribe link.

If you are interested in purchasing this painting feel free to use the Pay Pal button below. Thanks for your support and have a fabulous day.
How to Purchase:

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $325 USD plus $25 USD s/h
Or, send me an email

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.